Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thursday Threads - Kreinik.com

I’ve been spending a lot of time on the Kreinik website lately. This company is mostly known for their metallic threads but I’ve discovered they also have a lot of other cool stuff.

I originally went on there to see if they had any free patterns since I’m always looking for freebies. And they certain have a good selection! Everything from beads and crochet to stamping and scrapbooking. So of course, I headed straight to the cross stitch section where I found a cute Valentine’s Day pattern for conversation hearts (like the candies). It uses Silk Mori thread and Eyelet heart “Tokens and Trifles” sewing cards. Well, I missed Valentine’s Day so I’m definitely keeping this in mind for next year! The heart sewing cards are a bit expensive (about $10 each), but I bet I can do something similar on regular perforated paper with a nice border.

So then, I surfed some more and found a lovely Easter egg ornament pattern. It uses several pastel metallic threads, Stik ‘n Puff shapes, and trim, all stitched on 28 count Jobelan pastel fabrics. Well, I have time until Easter so I thought, “What a great idea!” There are lots of specialty stitches on these so my talents will be tested! Might be good fodder for a future “Tuesday Tips” blog…

I then went to the “Kreinikmall” to place my order for the threads. This is where it got a little confusing. Apparently you don’t buy directly from Kreinik but through stores that sell Kreinik products. So I clicked on my nearest shop, placed my order, and voila! I then got an email from the shop stating they would order it next week and I would get it soon thereafter. I’m beginning to think I might not make it by Easter, at least not for any Easter sales. Chalk this up to experience!

So, what else can you find at Kreinik? Of course, there are the threads and braids: metallic, machine sewing, silk, iron-on, real metal, and embellishments. Then there are color cards, “Tokens and Trifles” sewing cards, various kits, sewing tools, tapes for costuming, paper crafts, and fly fishing.

That’s right: fly fishing. Apparently this company makes materials that are durable enough to make fish flies. Everything from thread to patterns to foam tying discs and special scissors. I don’t think the hooks are included. I guess fish like the shiny threads too. Who knew?

Another item of interest on the website is the Education section. Here you can find videos, a stitch library, and other articles. The stitch library may not always give specific instructions, but the diagrams are nice as are the hints on when to use each stitch.

I will definitely have to come back and see about these new holographic threads.  The flecks of color in them create a 3D effect. Hmmm… psychedelic Easter eggs…

No comments:

Post a Comment